The real work began with excavating the hill in front of the library, digging a foundation hole for the new addition and removing the old oil tank. The Shute has an interesting history. In the 1930’s the Children’s Room was created on the basement level by lowering the floor. The foundation remained the same outside, while a concrete foundation was poured inside. A few surprises were discovered during excavation – a concrete pad below the oil tank and leftovers of a wall to the Gledhill side door below grade. Pictures are worth a thousand words:
Excavation of the hill begins.
Foundation hole for the new addition.
Gledhill entry was demolished to make way for the new addition – but there was more wall below than expected. So, it had to go.
The Children’s Fireplace shows the old outside wall, the rubble foundation and the interior concrete foundation.
Rubble foundations were not uncommon in 19th century buildings.
Digging up the hill exposes the old rubble foundation – which needs shorring up.
Concrete is poured to support the rubble foundation and stabilize the building,
Shorring and compaction does the job.
The old oil tank has to go.
Thankfully the old oil tank did not leak any old oil into the ground below.
Surprise! A concrete slab that supported the oil tank has to go.
Meanwhile, work continues inside the building.
Work on wall to new addition – Won’t it look smashing!
Asbestos in the building was carefully removed – Fortunately, Shute was built before much asbestos was used.